These delicious summer salads are full of flavor and showcase summer’s best produce! If you like summer fruit and vegetables, you’ll want to try these recipes.
How to Make Great Summer Salads
A great salad has a mix of flavors and seasonal ingredients. When you eat seasonal produce you’re not only getting the best flavors, but it’s usually cheaper too.
Summer seasonal produce includes berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, etc), melon, stone fruit (cherries, peaches, nectarines, plums, etc), corn, tomatoes, bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash, watermelon, and more.
What are your favorite summer salads?
Tips for Making Great Salads
Inspired to make your own salad? Here are some tips for making excellent salads that should serve you well.
- Choose high-quality greens. Getting the best greens you can find (especially locally grown, seasonal greens) will make the base of your salad so much better.
- Use a salad spinner to get all the water off your salad greens. It makes the leaves hold dressing or vinaigrette better.
- Think about the texture. Make sure to have a balance of crunchy and creamy ingredients.
- Don’t forget the salt. Sea salt and kosher salt are both great in salads and bring out the natural flavors of the food.
- Add toasted nuts or seeds.
- Roast, grill, or pickle your vegetables. Add flavor any way you can.
- Use a mandoline to slice your veggies thinly and consistently.
- Taste as you go along and adjust seasonings as necessary.
More Healthy Food Ideas
If you like healthy recipes, be sure to check out our other articles.