Here’s how to make a DIY hair oil for slugging. It’s great for dry, damaged hair – it makes your hair so shiny and soft!
This blend of oils is easy to pull together. I’ll show you how to apply it and maximize its effectiveness for your hair.
Hair slugging is safe for all hair types.
Why You Should Try Hair Slugging
Hair slugging has been popularized on TikTok but it’s actually been practiced for centuries in South Asia as a way to hydrate and strengthen hair.
For generations, Indian women have been oiling their hair and massaging it to keep their scalps healthy and long hair strong.
This type of protective oil mask has fatty acids that help strengthen brittle hair and add shine. While you don’t want an oil buildup on your scalp, many people actually have oily scalps because they are over-dry. Routinely oiling and massaging your scalp will help lock in moisture and reduce the need for your scalp to overproduce oil.
You can apply this homemade oil mask on a regular bi-monthly or monthly basis or just as needed.
DIY Hair Oil Blend Ingredients
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Avocado Oil
- Towel or Hair Wrap
How to Apply Hair Oil
Melt the coconut oil and mix it with the olive oil and avocado oil in a bowl with a spoon.
Stand on a tile floor or in a shower and gently pour the oil on your head. Use your hands to coat your hair and scalp with the oil mixture thoroughly.
Make sure to gently massage it into your scalp for several minutes.
Run your towel under hot water, wring it out, and then wrap it around your hair. Let sit for at least 20 minutes (leave it for several hours if possible).
Wash and dry your hair. Style as desired.
Repeat every two weeks or monthly as necessary.
More DIY Beauty Ideas
If you love making your own natural beauty products, check out some of our other favorites!
- DIY Bath Soak
- 3 DIY Hair Masks with Coconut Oil
- DIY 2-Ingredient Avocado Hair Mask
- How to Make Rosemary Water for Hair Growth
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup avocado oil
- Combine the coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil in a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Completely coat your hair and scalp with the oil mixture. Make sure to gently massage it into your scalp.
- Run your towel under hot water, wring it out, and then wrap it around your hair. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Wash and dry your hair. Style as desired.
- Repeat every two weeks or monthly as necessary.