If you’re in a funk or feeling blue, these 10 ways to immediately feel happier should put a smile on your face. It’s not always easy to feel happy, sometimes we need to give ourselves time to feel our emotions and feel our sadness. But if you want to make a change and take a small step to feel better, taking an action (even if it’s simple) can help.
How to Feel HappierHappiness can often be found in the everyday things – recharging our brains with things we enjoy, taking good care of our bodies through movement and food, and connecting with people we love. Focusing on the things we have and are grateful for is also an important step.
“The true secret of happiness lies in the taking a genuine interest in all the details of daily life.”Here are ten easy things to do that will brighten your day.
- Go outside. Even a walk around the block or 15 minutes outside will improve your mood
- Send someone a nice text. Reach out to a friend and send them something funny or tell them they’re special to you – when we’re nice to others, it makes us happier.
- Meditate for 10 minutes. Calming your mind and focusing on your breathing, even just for a few minutes, reduces anxiety and makes you feel better.
- Search for something cute. Watch a couple of videos of cute puppies or kittens sleeping.
- Play some music. Play a song you love, preferably something you can dance to.
- Practice gratitude. Write a list of 10 things you’re grateful for and you’ll find yourself smiling.
- Schedule something fun. Make plans with a friend or book something you’re excited about.
- Get creative. Do an art project or pick up a guitar, do something that’s hands-on and creative.
- Exercise. Doing something that makes you sweat will improve your mood.
- Eat good food. Make yourself something healthy that you love to eat. Snack on energy-boosting food to feel great.
More Happiness ResourcesLooking for more ways to be happy? Check out these resources.
- 31 Positive Affirmations To Tell Yourself
- 25 Habits of Successful and Extremely Happy People
- The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology and That Fuel Success and Performance at Work (we love this book!)
- Happier Podcast with Gretchen Rubin (we listen to this all the time!)